In previous versions of Microsoft Exchange Server, the best (and sometimes the only) way to export a user’s mailbox was opening Outlook and exporting the mailbox to a .PST file.
With recent versions of Exchange (Exchange Server 2010 SP2, 2013, and 2016), Exchange Management Shell gives us the power to export mailboxes using the command line.
1. Log into the Exchange server
2. Right-click Exchange Management Shell and click Run as Administrator
3. Enter the command New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Role “Mailbox Import Export” –User Administrator
Granting Export Rights
4. Close the PowerShell window and run as Administrator
5. Run the command New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox MAILBOXNAME -FilePath \\SERVER\SHARE\MAILBOXNAME.pst
Note I have two pieces of text MAILBOX_NAME and \\SERVER\SHARE need to be replaced with an actual mailbox name and server share path.